Footage taken from the 27 For Freedom race on the 11th of February 2017. Song by: The Specials – Nelson Mandela
From 25 January 2018, Drakenstein Correctional Services, in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Foundation and the Western Cape Government, announces the commencement of the 27 For Freedom run/walk and accompanying festival of events. This event is in honour of our great statesman and the father of our democracy, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, and is organised from the place of his release. It is the hope that ordinary South Africans will come together and commit to carrying his legacy forward. The focus is particularly on children, whom he adored.
The two weeks leading up to the main event day, 10 Saturday February 2018 marks the beginning of the celebrations and will hopefully serve to heighten anticipation for the event. There will be sporting, literary, artistic and spoken word events taking place at the location where Mandela famously walked out of prison with his fist clenched in the air, going on to lead the Republic of South Africa as the country’s first democratically elected president.
Saturday 10 February 2018 marks the 28th anniversary of former President Nelson Mandela’s historic ‘walk to freedom’ as he was released from the then Victor Verster Prison (now Drakenstein Correctional Services). The 2018 event is especially significant because Mandela would have celebrated his 100th birthday in July 2018. The event culminates in a 27km run/walk, representing the 27 years that Mandela spent behind bars. It includes a 10km and 5km option for novice participants as well. Entries are open and can be accessed on topevents.co.za.
The festival of events comprises the following:
- 27 Jan: 08h00 – 18h00: Soccer challenge
- 31 Jan: 08h00 – 15h00: Cycling challenge
- 3 Feb: 08h00 – 18h00: Rugby sevens tournament
- 5–8 Feb: 10h00 – 18h00: Madiba centenary arts exhibition, open mic poetry and creative writing event
- 6 Feb: 11h00 – 14h00: Madiba centenary inter-university colloquium
- 7 Feb: 19h00 – 21h00: 27 For Freedom lecture
- 9 Feb: 08h00 – 17h00: Madiba century boxing challenge
- 10 Feb: 06h30 – 17h30: 27 For Freedom run/walk and Freedom Concert
- 11 Feb: 15h00 – 17h00: Interdenominational gospel afternoon
Some of the proceeds of the event will be distributed between various charitable organisations in and around the Drakenstein area, continuing the idea of helping those around you.