- About 10 full page ads by big banks in the Sunday Times re fees. Meanwhile, I've saved over R5000 in fees in 2 years by moving to Capitec. #
- The amount I save in bank fees with Capitec in 1 year is more than my Outbonus after 3 years with Outsurance #Perspective #
- Gourmet meat free monday at Catharina's on Steenberg tonight with Slow Food Mother City. Also keen to see the new champagne bar… #
- Free Stellenbosch Wi Fi now live http://t.co/tZBqOCFV #
- Love the new Graham Beck champagne bar at Steenberg. Look at these canapes for the pairing! http://t.co/WnPZN2q3 #
- Settling into our multi course vegetarian gourmet dinner at Catharina's, very exciting menu… http://t.co/r5DYDIaS #
- RT @monsters_closet: check out http://t.co/QhzdAaND, a rad recycling initiative happening in HoutBay. Follow them at @Trashback_SA #
- BB users, v3 of Twitter for Blackberry has been released. I recommend upgrading asap. #
- RT @slowmothercity: What did you miss at last night's #MeatFreeMonday at Catharina's? See the photos on our FB page: http://t.co/hsSM6xrT #
- Tonight I'm watching Masterchef, but right now I'm watching the 2nd episode of HalfArsed-a Chef. See if you can spot me http://t.co/tOHOKteh #
- Nettleton House in Clifton makes it onto The Coolist (if you don't read The Coolist, start!) http://t.co/1LXQNw34 #
- Just ordered my new laptop. A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 220s. My inner geek is very excited but to the outside world I appear ambivalent. #
- #UsefulTip for Blackberry users, the built in Calculator app does conversion from Imperial to Metric & vice versa. Type in value & open menu #
- RT @whalecottage: Valora on Loop Street has closed down. #
- 8ta has extended the 'Midnight Surfer' window, it starts at 11pm instead of midnight now. Still ends at 5am http://t.co/4TpMimeB #
- Richard's Stage & Bistro on cnr of Glengariff & Main Rd in Sea Point is officially open. Free wi fi, apparently. #
- Also, new bar/restaurant called The Orphanage on cnr of Bree & Orphan streets in town. #
- I was quoted in Die Burger today. It's an article about last night's episode of Masterchef SA http://t.co/2EEze12d #
- It's gonna be a crazy weekend! I've just taken delivery of a box of rad looking Original Shaken premix cocktails http://t.co/eU0998br #
- I hope the other networks copy 8ta and make midnight surfing start earlier. Would love my sleep patterns to return to normal. #
- For those that struggle with Afrikaans & so couldn't read the Die Burger article which quoted me,it's online in English http://t.co/xp6uIlm2 #
- #SaveTheDate Taste of Cape Town is back from the 19th – 22nd April at Green Point Cricket Club http://t.co/OAtabVUL #
- #SaveTheDate Cheese Festival time! At Sandringham, 27th – 30th April http://t.co/8aVuu4ov #
- I've noticed some events using Nite Owls as their sober chauffeur service. I wonder why they choose them out of the 13 available options? #
- Dropbox now gives 500MB free space for referrals, & retrospectively. I suddenly have 14GB of free space. Max is 16GB http://t.co/9nb4ZARu #
- Tjekking out Tjing a ling. Packed. #
- Did you know that Tjing Tjing is about the music? Next time, take a listen. You won't recognise many tracks but you'll enjoy them all. #
- Definitely gonna start a website which lists which restaurants are open or closed on any given public holiday. Off to try option no. 3! #
- Fairly decent breakfast at Cafe Milano. It was buzzing, and so was Manna next door & Cafe Paradiso over the road. #
- Just watched This Is It, the documentary of Michael Jackson's final concert.So sad that he didn't get to share his masterpiece with his fans #
- Post lunch tequila, this is some quality stuff. Good enough to sip http://t.co/LM68H0s8 #
- Dinner in Franschhoek tonight. Anybody know of any good options for pre drinks that will be open today? #
- Just enjoyed a bottle of Big G at Holden Manz. Lovely wine, 50% cab sav & 50% cab franc. Great looking estate, must visit in the day. #
- Dinner at Le Bon Vivant in Franschhoek. Been impressed with the food, awaiting soufflé for dessert. Service a little rough around the edges. #
Over the school holiday period and Easter long weekend, the City of Cape Town’s vital 107 Public Emergency Communication Centre – which is the central point for reporting emergency situations – receives an increase in call volumes for traffic, fire and medical incidents.
Visitors and residents are urged to please exercise caution during this period and are reminded that they can call 107 in the event of any life- and/or property-threatening emergency. By dialling this number they will gain access to the Police, Fire Services, Ambulance and Traffic Services as well as the City’s Disaster Risk Management Department.
Those using a landline can dial 107, while cellphone users can access the 107 Public Emergency Communication Centre on 021 480 7700; they are urged to save this number on their cellphones. The number can be dialled anywhere in the 021 dialling code area.
The 107 Public Emergency Communication Centre will be on full alert and ready to receive calls on the 107 number. Emergency communicators will be available on a 24-hour basis.
The City of Cape Town’s Sport, Recreation and Amenities Department will host a range of local and national events over the Easter weekend, across various sporting codes including soccer, rugby, running and hockey, amongst others.
“These events provide all Capetonians with an opportunity to celebrate Easter in a healthy way, while offering activities and entertainment for the whole family to enjoy,” said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Community Services, Councillor Tandeka Gqada.
The following events are scheduled to take place over the Easter weekend:
Two Oceans Marathon
The City is once again partnering with Old Mutual to host the 43rd annual Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon (OMTOM) over the Easter weekend, which will see over 20 000 runners taking to the streets.
The OMTOM Expo will take place from 4 – 6 April at the Good Hope Centre. This year marks the biggest expo yet, with over 130 exhibition stands and 78 companies participating – of which 22 are first-time exhibitors. The expo will be followed by a fun-run, a trail run and an international friendship run on 6 April and will be rounded off by a Parlotones concert at the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens from 17:00 to 19:00 on Sunday 8 April.
The 56 km Ultra Marathon and the 21,1km Half Marathon will take place on Saturday 7 April 2012.
Both races will start from Main Road, Newlands. At 06:00, the City’s Executive Mayor, Alderman Patricia de Lille, will fire the starting gun for the Half Marathon, followed by the 56km Ultra Marathon at 06:25.
Dubbed ‘the world’s most beautiful marathon’, the event has grown over the past 43 years from an Ultra Marathon (i.e. a longer than usual marathon) to a variety of events spread over the Easter weekend that cater for every class of participant – from top marathon runners to toddlers. Nearly 23 000 runners will participate in this year’s events, with 9 000 entrants competing in the 56km Ultra Marathon and just over 14 000 in the 21,1km Half Marathon.
Contact person: Stefanie Shultzen on 072 457 8085
Click here for more event information and details about road closures.
Metropolitan Premier Cup
The City is partnering with the Bayhill Football Club to host the 24th annual Metropolitan Premier Cup 2012. Local soccer fans will be able to watch talented young under-19 footballers from 32 teams across South Africa and Africa competing for top honours, with junior players from the top Premier Soccer League (PSL) teams participating. Some 30 000 spectators are expected to attend the tournament over the Easter weekend.
Amongst others, Benny McCarthy, Mathew Booth and Mark Williams graduated from this tournament in previous years and went on to play for Bafana Bafana. The tournament is attended by scouts from all of the major PSL clubs and is a platform for players to be spotted and scooped by the top clubs. The event has grown from humble beginnings 23 years ago to being one of the premier events over the Easter period.
Sponsors include the City of Cape Town, Metropolitan, Bayhill Football Club and sportswear company Adidas.
- Date: 4 – 9 April 2012
- Time: 08:00 – 21:00
- Venue: Erica Park Sports Complex, Belhar
Contact person: PJ Williams on 082 335 7392
KC March Easter Hockey Festival 2012
The City is partnering with the Central Hockey Club to host the KC March Easter Festival 2012 for the first time in Cape Town since 2007. The event will take place at the Hartleyvale Hockey Stadium and Vygieskraal Hockey Complex under the auspices of Western Province Hockey Union and the South African Hockey Association (SAHA).
Close to 40 teams will participate, representing top clubs from across the country. The Premier Division comprises eight ladies’ and eight men’s teams. The rest of the participants will participate in the Challenge and Masters Divisions for ladies and men.
Many of the participants are in the prime of their hockey careers (ages 18 to 25 years), several of whom have represented their provinces. A large contingent of South African under-21 and senior players will compete as well as former national players. Participating clubs will travel from Port Elizabeth, East London, Johannesburg, Kimberley and Bloemfontein.
- Date: 6 – 8 April 2012
- Time: 08:00 – 20:00
- Venues: Hartleyvale Hockey Stadium, Observatory
Vygieskraal Hockey Complex, Athlone
Contact: Ron Hendrickse on 084 800 0844 or E-mail: email@example.com
Young Brothers RFC National Rugby Tournament
The City is partnering with the Young Brothers Rugby Football Club to host the inaugural Young Brothers Rugby Football Club National Rugby Easter Tournament. The tournament will take place from 6 – 9 April 2012 at the NY49 Sports Complex in Gugulethu.
The tournament will see 22 teams from the Eastern Cape, Western Cape and Gauteng competing in 21 games played over three divisions, namely: juniors, seniors and women. Over 3 000 spectators are expected to attend.
- Date: 6 – 8 April 2012
- Time: 10:00 – 19:00
- Venue: NY49 Sports Complex, Gugulethu
Contact person: Mvuyisi Goduka on 072 207 5298
Lagunya Easter Rugby Tournament
The City is partnering with the Lagunya Rugby Football Club to host the Lagunya Easter Rugby Tournament in Nyanga.
The tournament will see 16 teams from Eastern Cape, Western Cape and Gauteng competing to win the first trophy. The National Minister for Sport and Recreation, Fikile Mbalulu, and President of South African Rugby, Oregan Hoskins, are expected to attend.
- Date: 6 – 9 April 2012
- Time: 09:00 – 14:00
- Venue: Nyanga Rugby Stadium, Nyanga
Contact person: Buster Phillips on 084 823 5054
The City intends to develop these events to attract large numbers of local and international participants. This complements the City’s strategy to partner iconic events, such as the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, the Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike Challenge, the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon and the Metropolitan Premier Cup.
“The City has made considerable investments in terms of providing much-needed facilities, and we will do all that we can to see these major tournaments take place in our less privileged areas and support disadvantaged participants. These facilities are to be enjoyed by everyone and we want to promote their use not only for the communities in which they are built, but also by neighbouring communities,” said Cllr Gqada.