A Cape Town District Six Museum tagged image from photographer – wallyg as published on Flickr.
Baltimore – Mount Vernon: Washington Monument
Image by wallyg
The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills, was installed at the intersection of Mt Vernon Place and Washington Place on November 25, 1829. The 160-foot white marble tower is capped with Italian sculptor, Enrico Causici’s 18-foot statue of George Washington resigning his position in the Continental Army at the Annapolis statehouse in 1782. A low, rectangular base contains a museum and 228 steps spiral up to the top of the fluted column, where incomparable views of the city are available from four portals. The iron fence around the base, containing some of the symbolism removed from the initial column design due to cost considerations, was designed by Mills and added in 1838.
The Baltimore Washington Monument was first proposed in 1809. It was to be the nation’s first architectural monument dedicated to President Washington. In 1811, the first of six lotteries was held, to raise funds, and Mills’ design was chose in an architectural competition in 1815 and the cornerstone was laid on July 4 of that year. Robert Mills, the first architect born and educated in the United States would later achieve greater fame for the design of national Washington Monument in DC. Before the monument could be completed, a stone-towered monument to Washington was completed in Washington Monument State Park in Boonsboro, Maryland in 1827.
Mount Vernon Place Historic District National Register #71001037 (1971)
CLICK HERE to submit your Cape Town news.