Who says living is just for the summer? With Cape Country Routes’ (CCR) activity and accommodation establishments’ entertaining must do’s on popular travel routes (all within three hours’ drive from Cape Town), there is little reason to avoid filling your winter activity checklist.
Ideal for the entire family and a bunch of friends, the following Cape Winelands and Route 62 recommendations, courtesy of CCR, can help beat the winter chill:
Stellenbosch: Make the mid-year worth your while with a Winelands getaway that meets luxury and adventure in the middle. Boasting several decades of rich heritage, Stellenbosch has always been a favourite must-see destination. Immersed in oak tree laden streets, the historic town beams with an excitement that can’t easily be overlooked.
• Spa therapy, anyone? Another great Cape Winelands option to bat the mid-year slump can include a spa retreat and long overdue mini holiday at Evergreen Manor and Spa. Aside from luxury guesthouse accommodation and warm hospitality, its in-house spa’s popular beauty treatments are enough to help anyone recharge and retake on the rest of the year with renewed vigour.
• Stay central: Eendracht Hotel and Apartments is nestled in the oldest part of the town, and within walking distance of more than 60 bistros, restaurants and boutique stores. The elegant hotel is the perfect hideaway from the everyday hustle and bustle while still in proximity to central Stellenbosch. With only 12 luxury en-suite rooms, the quaint hotel offers true South African hospitality and comfort.
• Be a tourist in your country: Guests popping in to town on the day, or those already staying at Eendracht Hotel and Evergreen Manor can add to their stay with an outdoor Winelands excursion with Adventure Shop Activities. Adventure Shop is an owner-run tourism business specialising in adventure tours and activities, safaris and Overland travel. Located within walking distance from the CCR accommodation entities in town, Adventure shop offers local day tours including guided bike tours, hikes and a hop on hop off service on the Stellenbosch Wine Route.
• Make way for a winter Winelands party: Celebrating its 20th anniversary year, Eendracht Hotel is offering a 20 percent accommodation discount until end-July. Adventure Shop is joining the party to give R250 off per person for a Winelands wine tour.
Route 62: Recently recognised by CCN travel as one of the world’s best road trip destinations, the route is a picturesque travel option that passes through Ceres to Robertson and the Klein Karoo.
• Put your palate to the test: Van Loveren Family Vineyards is South Africa’s biggest family owned winery and home to the legendary Four Cousins. With wine tasting and an array of food and wine pairings offered at the elegant tasting room, Van Loveren vineyards promises a ‘flavour-filled’ day on Route 62, in Robertson. In addition to wine tastings (including kiddies tastings), the winery’s different activities make for a great adventure that includes hiking trails and guided garden and cellar tours. Until end-July, guests receive a complimentary bottle red muscadel with every six bottles of wine purchased.
• More wine please! The legendary Four Cousins’ elegant, new tasting room in Robertson now offers tastings of its range of delicious wines as well as craft beer on tap. Visitors can enjoy a variety of food and wine pairings, including non-alcoholic options and a kiddies juice pairing at one of the most chilled spots along Route 62. There are also a mini Brewery Tour and whiskey pairings plus a family-friendly restaurant to add a wholesome meal to the experience.
• Add a roadtrip to your roadtrip: Enjoy an experience of a lifetime in Montagu with a genuine American Dream Car. The fleet includes the 1956 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1955 Mercury Monter ey and 1956 De Soto Fire Flight Sportsman. Vehicles can be hired at Montagu Country Hotel in the centre of town at an hourly rate and accommodate up to four people.
With CCRs range of exciting activity offerings in winter, you can make the most of the colder seasons and enjoy an entertainment schedule that is even fitting for when sunnier weather is on the horizon.
: Western Cape – MyPR Guest PR