The City of Cape Town is once again setting the stage for unsigned musicians to showcase their talents for a shot at joining the line-up at the annual switching on of the lights in December.
The Festive Lights Switch-On Music Challenge has become a popular fixture in the lead-up to the big event on the Grand Parade, and this year the City is again scouting for a budding music artist or group to take to the stage on the Grand Parade on Sunday 1 December 2019.
To be a part of the concert line-up, and, to win R10 000, unsigned musicians or bands, need to upload a performance video to www.FLSOMusicChallenge2019.co.za then share the good news on social platforms. The winner this year will be the one with a combination of the most public votes and social shares.
The Festive Lights Music Challenge will run from Monday 28th October to midnight on Sunday 24th November 2019.
Entrants should please bear in mind that the City of Cape Town’s Festive Lights Switch-On, celebrating 50 years in 2019, is a family-oriented event for all ages. All genres are welcome but, videos containing lyrics and images of an offensive or profane nature will therefore not be accepted for submission. Further, only Cape Town-based artists should apply and winners of previous FLSO Music Challenges may not submit entries for five years after the last time they won.
How to enter: Budding artists or groups (those not so famous) can use mobile phones or PCs, or visit any of the City’s libraries and make use of the free Internet access via the SmartCape facilities to upload their videos.
The steps to upload are as follows:
- Click on the URL: www.FLSOMusicChallenge2019.co.za
- Choose where to upload your media from (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or PC)
- If using PC option, your name and email address will be required – Social Media will have login prompts
- Upload your image or video – no longer than 5 minutes
- All genres are welcome but, no lyrics and images of an offensive or profane nature
- Share on all the social media platforms you can
- Please see the website for terms and conditions.